Thursday, May 31, 2012

What Cannes I say?


Ok, here it goes. Before I started taking a closer look at film festivals, I thought I knew what I needed to know about the ones I need to know.

Cannes = France, hipster actors, european indie films, big european celebs support the arts.
Toronto = No clue, really
Sundance = Indie films with big celebs in remote parts of America
Tribeca = Robert de Niro, indie films that will become big thanks to rich exec producers who live in tribeca.

We could do this forever. Fact is there's millions of festivals each year, important ones too. But not exactly my point.

Cannes resulted to be a place where movies as deep and dark as Baad el Mawkeaa (After the battle) debut alongside Madagascar 3 (Yes, as in Chris Rock, Jada Pinket, Ben Stiller, etc) so this made me think it really is all about movies. No matter who you are, what your movie's about or how much it cost, it will be there if it has a place.

A particular one that caught my eye (and everyone's, i guess) was of course, Wes Anderson's Moonrise Kingdom (see in one of my next posts).





From the glamour of the stars to the interviews for the Today show and all my favorite magazines, I've changed my mind completely about film festivals in less than 6 months. Check them out! and don't be surprised when you see me covering one in the near future :)

No comments:

Post a Comment