Tuesday, August 21, 2012

des classiques

There are some movies that we've all seen, how could we not? they're classics, right? Crossed them off the list and feel we've earned ourselves the right to use that "you really haven't seen so and so!?" we hate to hear.
One day, in class, I realized I could barley remember most of the must-see movies. I knew I had to watch them again to form a real opinion... so I did.

I started off with three very different ones (two of them in New York, by no means a coincidence)...


No matter how you feel about the French, If you don't at least get teary eyed with a lump in your throat when they play the Marseilles, you might want to check your pulse.

What I loved most: Ingrid Bergman's beauty, the Moroccan scenery, one of my all time favorite songs "As time goes by", Humphrey Bogart–all of HB and of course, one of my all time favorite lines "here's lookin' at you kid".

Breakfast at Tiffany's-
Anyone who's anyone in NY, loves a damsel in distress story with a happy ending... or just a love story in Manhattan with the chicest woman that's ever set foot on this earth.

What I loved most: Audrey's effortless chicness, independence, beauty and strength. spotting certain places in the city that remain untouched, the music (especially the "South American" music at the party), George Peppard–all of him... ohhh the 60s

Manhattan-
Woody Allen says "he romanticized NY out of proportion" about his character. Don't we all. I guess it's this city's gift, a way of survival. It has strange ways of making us feel obsessive teenage love for it even when it treats us like shit.

What I loved most: Have George Gershwin tunes playing with infinite, black & white takes of Manhattan and not much else matters. Diane Keaton being a hot mess (just wanting the married guy she can't have), people in NY having the exact same apt problems in the late 70s as we do today and just the relatable feel of the character's stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment